Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lost Flipper

Saturday,what a day.We returned to the jetty this morning about 11:00am. Fished for a little while lost several nice fish and watched a group of boats try to save a sinking boat. on the other jetty.The Coast guard was there and Towboat U.S.getting the boat saved .
I talked to my son Brad who was captain on the Flipper bay boat,they had 15 reds ,several spanish mackeral ,and big Mangrove snapper.They were heading in and went out of my site back into the channel.I heard on the radio something about the Flipper to the Coast Guard and I thought he was helping relay information about the other boat in distress.
When I realized he needed help, I pulled up anchor and got over there as soon as I could get there.When I finally arrived, the boat was on it's side and sinking,the coast guard was watching it sink .Everybody on board was on the C.G. boat and not even wet.Brad did a great job of trying to save the boat and a great job of getting the coast guard there quickly We tried to tie onto the boat and had it coming into the current ,the boat rose about half way out of the water as I was towing it. Then some stupid people in a large boat ran past us causing a big wake which broke the tow rope .
I scrambled to retie it agian ,but the boat was lower in the water this time and sinking fast .Got it retied and tried to pull it agian but the current was just too much.I was running with the current trying toget it pull forward ,and the rope broke again .Swung around and doubled the rope lost sight of it as I was tying knots .Only to not find it again.

No comments: